The Tasmanian Government is committed to ensuring its laws reflect best practice as it readies itself for future needs and challenges within the criminal justice system.
Some legislative changes currently being progressed include:
- Modernising and streamlining the processes of the Magistrates Court Criminal and Civil Division;
- Investigating alternative sentencing options, including the progressive phasing out of suspended sentences and the introduction of meaningful alternative sentencing options;
- Introducing minimum mandatory sentences for serious child sexual offences;
- Strengthening Tasmania’s bullying laws;
- Ensuring that sex offenders in our prison participate in appropriate treatment programs; and
- Establishing a Custodial Inspector, tasked with providing independent external scrutiny of all aspects of prisons and detention centres in Tasmania.